Saturday, February 27, 2010

Who is using my credit card?


I have been a Quicken user since about 1991 and I have been a big fan of it. I have encouraged my daughters to start keeping track of their finances with Quicken because I find it to be easy to use and versatile. I have had only a couple of minor problems with it until the past two weeks. I was having the same problem on two different computers using different software. I contacted Quicken and Quicken Bill Pay to see where the error was and no one could find it. I must have spent 6 hours on the phone with different technicians on different days to resolve the problem.

Last week I spoke with a wonderful lady at Quicken Bill Pay and she could not help me either. She did recommend that maybe I should upgrade my Quicken Premier 2009 to Quicken 2010. I usually get new software every few years so I was not planning on buying this year. She said that since I had been a user for so long that they might be able to give me an upgrade free. I was willing, but the salesman told me $90. I went to Costco and used a coupon in their book and got it for $40. I installed it on only one of the computers and it seemed to be working fine... until this morning.

Nearly everyday I go into my Quicken and I download the transactions on my bank accounts and credit cards. This helps me to keep up to date on them. This morning as I was downloading I noticed it was going very slow. The reason is that it was downloading 16,000 transactions on my Discover Card totaling $6,125,131,801.12. Did Gary buy me an early Mothers Day present? Did one of my daughters use the card a little too much?



I decided the quickest way would be to accept all the transactions and delete them all at once. I have tried this 3 times already and they keep coming back. I did go online to my Discover Card and I do have a balance of $16.98. Much better!

I will be on the phone for a while, so if you get a busy signal try again later!

Update Saturday night: I contacted Quicken and they are not open on the weekend. So against my better judgement I tried the online chat. After waiting twice for over 30 minutes I was finally connected... to someone in India. i think he was handling at least 10 other clients because he kept asking me the same questions and he really wasn't listening to my problem. He concluded that I have some bad data. I deleted the account and the huge balance due and I will try Customer Service on Monday.

1 comment:

Michelle M said...

It was me! I spent $16 billion. How did I spend it? Let's see... we paid off our loans, bought a house, Derrick bought a hot rod car, we took a trip to Disneyland, went on a cruise, bought another house in Utah for the summer, bought another house in the mountains for winter, and then I bought Dayton his own computer and Daphne a life-time supply of shoes. I guess I won't be using coupons for a while!