Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Mommie Dearest



In the past few weeks, some of you may have called my home and wondered about the interesting message on my answering machine: "Hi, you've reached Mommie Dearest and Papa Bear. Please leave a message". I thought I would explain what that is all about.

Last January when Dayton & Daphne were here they discovered my answering machine. They loved pressing the buttons and hearing the man in the box. One day, without my realizing, they recorded a new outgoing message for me. It was Dayton & Daphne talking & playing with my machine. I wish I could have saved it but I changed it back.

Our youngest daughter Laura heard about this and made her own recording, Mommie Dearest & Papa Bear. I know you are all wondering how I got the term Mommie Dearest and frankly so would I! I would like to think that it was intended as a term of endearment, maybe a little.

I was thinking of this the other day as I was cleaning out a closet of Gary's clothes. I absolutely HATE WIRE HANGERS! Whenever I find one I throw it out and I have a hunch that Gary finds them in the garbage and keeps them. I am not sure why I dislike them so much, but I prefer the plastic tubular hangers. My name of Mommie Dearest has nothing to do with the hangers, at least I don't think so.

Jenny used to say to me "You're pretty and special in my world". What does that mean, I am only pretty in her world? If I step out of her world am I no longer special?

I guess these are questions I am going to have to ask them!

5 comments:

Kaili McKay said...

i hate wire hangers too! sometimes the names we give our moms derivative from add places and evolve from one thing to another...I call my mom the "mazzjah" now everyone calls her that :) it started with the austin powers movie when gold member would say, "fazzjah" = father.

Laurel said...

We are strictly a plastic hanger family and I won't bet you, I'm sure that Gary is keeping them. :) I'm sure the nickname is a term of endearment.

Unknown said...

suuure....we'll say it's a term of endearment :) hehe.
And you used to ALWAYS tell us that we were pretty and special in your world...that came from jenny?

Derrick M said...

Of course Mommy Dearest was from that Devil Woman movie, and I believe Laura gave you that name once to make fun of you when you were worked up over something. Then when we realized that you DON'T like being called Mommy Dearest, the name stuck.

I agree with Laura- I remember you telling us the pretty and special thing, not Jenny telling you.

Michelle M said...

Sorry, that last comment was me. I didn't realize Derrick was signed into blogger on MY computer.