Sunday, May 31, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #6: Arrived in Panama

We just arrived in Panama. We had to wait to cross the Panama Canal as there was a lot of traffic there. It is amazing how the ships can stop and wait their turn and then move on. They have to know when it is their turn to cross. When we leave here for Colombia next week we will be going through the canal.

Here is a picture of the tugboats pushing us into place at the pier. We get close and then they take over and push us against the dock.

The May Group at the Dominican Republic Airport
Sorry for the scary eyes- Michelle was supposed to fix the picture!

Today they will be unloading supplies and getting set up for clinics. Monday and Tuesday will be pre-op day and Wednesdays we start surgeries. I will be working the swing shift again which I am glad for.

I am scheduled to go ashore two days, Tuesday and Wednesday. On Wednesday we will try another COMREL. I don't know what we will be doing yet, but since I was part of the last group that didn't happen we will get priority to be on this one.

Even though we are at a pier we stilll need to be on a manifest to go ashore. Apparently we are at a pier where a lot of cruise ships come in. At night we can go shop in the duty free stores. Of course they won't be cheap but it will be nice to go ashore.

I am volunteering today to help the Navy Reservists serve lunch. They were short some people and since I room with 3 of them I said I would help. I get to wear one of those great paper hats. Lt. Montebon said she would put Honorary Reservist on mine.

It is exciting to be in a new country and to see what the people from Panama are like. It is very hot here, 110 degrees with the humidity. I have to make sure I keep taking my Malaria medicine.

Me by our Ship's Helicopter

2 comments:

Derrick M said...

Kirsten, that picture of you infront of the helicopter is totally hot! I love it!

The Rinkels said...

What a cool experience. I have travel envy!