Friday, May 1, 2009

Continuing Promise 09


USNS Comfort

In about an hour I am heading to the airport for a flight to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic. From there I will board the USNS Comfort for a 2 month Medical Mission to Central and South America. My rotation will take me to Antigua, Panama, Colombia (2 areas) and El Salvador.

Continuing Promise 2009 is an annual humanitarian civic assistance operation supported by U.S. and international military medical personnel, U.S. government agencies, regional health ministries, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and U.S. academic institutions. U.S. Naval Forces Southern Command and U.S. 4th Fleet (NAVSO/4th Fleet) are the main planning and coordination commands for the Continuing Promise mission.

Here are a few links to the Mission:

Southern Command

Continuing Promise 09

Navy.mil

USNS Comfort

I am both excited and nervous. The first rotation left from Santo Domingo today. They had a wonderful time, worked hard, and their lives have all been touched. I know there will be some of those moments that will break your heart and it will stay with you for the rest of your life. There will also be the moments that make you feel wonderful and uplifted.

I will be able to receive email while onboard, kklein24@gmail.com. I will send my emails to Michelle and she will forward them to others. This is the first time I will be gone for so long from my family. I won't be able to pick up the phone and call Dayton or Daphne. I understand the Med-Surg nurses have been working six 12 hour days so I expect to come home tired. There are a lot of stairs to go up and down everyday.

I have heard the food is good and the military onboard have been great to work with. I will be able to spend some time in the clinics on land and work in the hospital onboard. I have had my shots (Yellow Fever) and I am taking my Malaria medicine. Most of the cases we see will not be difficult. Our staff has medical, dental, optical, veterinarian, construction & engineering available to the countries we visit.

So keep your eye on this blog and hopefully Michelle will keep it updated for me. I am not sure if I can send pictures or not. With over 1,000 people using about 10 computers I am not sure how much time I will get everyday.

No comments: