Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #1: Luggage-less

After a little confusion the US Navy picked us up for a boat ride to the USNS Comfort. As we turned the corner and finally saw it each of us gasped. It was absolutely beautiful. I have seen dozens of pictures of it, but they don't do her justice. We pulled up alongside a rescue boat and climbed in. They then hoisted us, our luggage (except MY luggage because it was delayed and didn't get to the ship in time!), and the boat up to the Comfort. It was so good to finally arrive.

Our first day we had some orientation and the second day we went to our assigned areas for a 7:30 am "Muster". For me I had stations to go through to orient me to the Aft Ward I would be working on. We learned about the IV's and pumps, charting, vital signs, galley, supply rooms etc. We also had to practice an egress blindfolded. We were blindfolded, spun around and we had to find our way out of the Ward, through two doors and up 6 sections of stairs, and outside. We are having an Abandon Ship tomorrow at 1300. I am still so confused trying to find my way around, there are about 8 decks and 6 or 7 stairways. Not all of the stairways go all the way up/down, and not all of the decks go completely across. My legs are starting to ache by the end of the day.

The military staff here are fabulous. They are happy to answer our silly questions about the color of their uniforms, their rank, etc. Every branch of the military is represented here. It is great to see them all work so well together.

I hear my luggage will be delivered to Antigua on Monday. According to Gary the airline will deliver it to the boat but there is no way they will be able to get it out to us. We don't pull up into a port; we are anchored somewhere. For now, I'm managing without it because I purchased toiletries at the store on the ship, but I miss my vitamins!

I am enjoying the rocking of the boat; it has never been bad at all. It is actually quite relaxing. I never even realized when we were underway.

The food here isn't bad; I have been hungry with all the stair climbing. There are exercise classes everyday, even Zumba! I guess I need to try it.

Once we get to Antigua we will get busy. We will go ashore, set up clinics and evaluate people for surgeries or other treatments. It is amazing how many people we go through in one day, the turn around is very fast.

2 comments:

Cora said...

I can't tell you how excited I am to read all about your adventures on your mission. You will bless so many lives!

The Rinkels said...

You are awesome! I hope you have a fabulous adventure and help to treat lots of people.