Sunday, May 10, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #2: Beginning Work

We have been here a week now so I thought I would give you an update.

First of all, I finally did receive my luggage! Unfortunately, a lot was missing and some was damaged. I had 2 bottles of laundry detergent that opened and dumped into my clothes. They had been packed well but because so much was missing the bottles were damaged. The detergent soaked my clothes and started molding. It wasn't my assigned laundry day but I got permission from the Commander to use the laundry. I have made a list of what was stolen and it is very interesting, a lot of random things. Dad is busy putting together a replacement package of the things I still need.

I spent 2 full days ashore on Antigua working in the clinics. On the first day we went ashore for the Pallet Exchange Ceremony. This is where the Church's donated pallets of supplies were presented to the organizations on Antigua that will use them. There was 2 pallets of school kits and at least one pallet of hygiene kits as well as other needed medical supplies. We were only scheduled to be there for the ceremony but we were anxious to help, so we just jumped in and helped wherever we could. I worked in the General medicine area where adults were seen. I watched for open providers and sent patients in. We also ran errands for the providers (doctors, Family Nurse Practitioners) and took patients where they needed to go. I did get to flush an ear!

The next day I had a 5:00 am call-away, which means I had to be in the area ready to leave on the boat by 5:00 am. Luckily I was able to sleep a little on the 45 minute ferry ride to the island. When we got on the island the line (6:30 am) was already huge and people seemed a little frustrated. Our providers immediately started seeing patients and continued for about 9 - 10 hours. We actually had to turn some away which was disappointing. The patients are allowed to see only one provider a day, which means if they see the doctor they have to come back to see the dentist or optometrist. We got back to the ship about 6:30 pm and the kitchen stayed open so we could eat.

For lunch I had my first MRE! It really was good, honest. I had spaghetti with a meat sauce, a blueberry/cherry cobbler, crackers, bread with cheeze whiz and condiments. It comes with a pouch and packet that when you add a small amount of water it heats up and warms the meal. It is loaded with calories and can probably feed me for an entire day. I saved some of it for today.

The first patients came onboard yesterday and the surgeries have already started. I start my first shift this afternoon from 3:00 pm to 11:00 pm. We start getting the patients up at 5:00 am so we can get them off the ship and bring the next ones onboard. There are 26 scheduled surgeries for this morning.

I am excited to finally get started working. We spent the first several days learning about the staff, the areas that we'll be working in, and the ship. Once we are done here in Antigua we will head over to Panama.

The people here are wonderful, very happy and pleasant. There are some issues with high blood pressure and diabetes. The children here are absoluetly adorable, almost as cute as Dayton & Daphne. Most of the adults in line just wanted a check-up; some did have health concerns. The dental area fills up quite fast and is usually the first to have to stop the patients from waiting in line. I was also surprised with how many were here for optometry. They are actually making glasses here for people onboard!

So far this has been a great experience and I am so happy to be a part of it. I have come to have so much respect and admiration for our armed forces; they are truly hard working people. Next year the Humanitarian Mission will be in the Pacific with the Mercy. Yes, I am interested as long as it is after tax season!

I'd love to hear from everyone, I am not getting much email! The internet here is slow, but it works.

2 comments:

Cora said...

Oh, that's awful about the missing items and laundry detergent. The information about your schedule is so interesting. It sounds like the providers just help as many people as possible but I'm sure it is heartbreaking to have to turn people away when the lines are too long.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

what an interesting, amazing, humbling experience. I can't wait to hear more.