Thursday, May 21, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #5: Arrived in Colombia

We just arrived in Cartegena Colombia. We are not seeing patients while we are here; this stop is a liberty. We have had briefings from NCIS (No, not Mark Harmon although that would be great) and every person that knows anything. Colombia has been working on its crime and drug issues. It is relatively safe here, although we have to be aware all the time.

I looked outside and it is so hazy here, worse than LA. With the heat index we are going to be at 110 degrees while we are here. I am supposed to drink 1 liter of water per hour when I'm off the boat!
I am going ashore tomorrow to help the Chaplain paint a school. I am not interested in partying and spending the night; I have a few friends that will do some shopping and sight-seeing with me on Friday. I'm not sure what to do with all of my time off!

We are on water rations because we cannot dump pure sewage. They have to bring a barge out 1-2 times a day to pump it out. When the sewage fills our water shuts off.

We leave on Friday or Saturday for Panama. That will only take one day to get there.

I am not buying souvenirs for my kids anymore. Dayton and Daphne are getting all of them. I got Dayton a Hawaiian shirt and shorts, and Daphne gets a halter top and a skirt to tie around her swimsuit. Now she just needs a swimsuit!

No comments: