Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #7: Work in Panama

At the Clinic in Panama
I spent 2 days at a clinic onshore in Panama. It is a baseball field, about a 5 minute bus ride from the ship. By time we are there at 6:45 am there is already a huge line. I was taking people's temperatures and watch for signs and symptoms of flu.
After the people passed through us they went to a table where their information was taken and what they were being seen for. Luckily we had several Panamanians that were able to help us with this. They are then sent to the bleachers and sit in sections according to the service they are waiting for. The first day we saw 1037 people and the second day we saw about 950.

There must have been a dozen Missionaries from the Church helping everyday. Some can translate as they speak both languages; others help us to take temperatures or keep the patients organized. It has been so nice to see them working! Most of them are from Utah.

I got an MRE for lunch both days onshore. First I had spaghetti again, and then I got the cheese tortellini. I even had tootsie rolls!
I think I got caught up on all my sunshine while I was onshore. I can go days without seeing the sun! One night my roommates and I all went out to the pier for a hamburger and fries. It was delicious!
We had 2 special visitors from our Church this week. Sister Julie Beck was here; she's our Relief Society General President (meaning she's head of our women's organization).
Me with Sister Beck Sister Beck with the Helicopter

And Bishop Richard Edgley was also here; he is the first counselor in the Presiding Bishopric.
Bishop Edgley and Captian Bob Lineberry

We are having serious water issues here. While we are at the pier we are not able to make our own water. We have water trucks bring us our water on a daily basis, nearly 24/7. I am learning all about Navy Showers. By the way, the Army, Air Force and the Marines all have to take Navy Showers as well!!

Petty Officer Jasey is a member of the flight crew. He opened up the helicopter door for us and let us take some pictures inside. This is probably the closest I will get to riding in a helicopter.

Here is the June Crew


We've been doing surgeries this week. I'm working 5 days on swing shift, then I switch to the day shift.

Here I am with a few of my Panamanian patients.

SH3 Marcus Williams (from Houston, Texas) came down and taught some of the children in the ward all about rhythm. He didn't speak Spanish, but they communicated. He taught them to tap their legs with a rhythm and then try it with the drum sticks.


I had one patient that was having some issues with anxiety; every time she got up to walk she almost passed out. He went over and sat with her and made her laugh. From then on my patient was completely different. He made a tremendous difference in her care.
The Discovery Channel has been here all week taping the experience of life here onboard the USNS Comfort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you are having a wonderful time on your medical mission! You are doing great work & all of those people are thankful for it =]

Serena said...

How exciting! You should have it all made into a "blog book" when you are back! You look so good and look at how many lives you are blessing.