Sunday, June 21, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #13: My Room/Colombian Translators

In my room, I have 3 Captains, 1 Commander,
and 2 Lt Commanders. I am definitely outranked!
My Roommates

Back Row: Kirsten Klein CIV, Lt. Commander Lori Snidow, Lt. Commander Karen Moore, Commander Karen Morgan-Lynch
Front Row: Captain Andrea Demello-Stevers, Captain Betty Chern-Hughes and Captain Kathryn Johnson

Kathryn Johnson MD, CAPT MC USN. She is a contract physician to the US Navy in Occupational Medicine at the Groton Branch Clinic. She is from East Lyme, CT, and is the CO, OHSU in San Diego, CA.

Andrea Demello-Stevers, CAPT, NC, USNR, Senior Nurse Leader NR OHSU San Diego, Det D - Honolulu, Hawaii. She is a Nurse Educator for the Department of Veterans Affairs. She was the co-coordinator of Cruise #3 for the Navy Reservists, USNS Comfort, CP09 Mission.

Betty Chern-Hughes, CAPT, USPHS, Certified Nurse-Midwife, National program Nurse Consultant, Office of Family Planning, Office of Population Affairs, Rockville, MD. She is from Dallas, Santa Fe, Ft Defiance, Tucson & Globe AZ

Karen Morgan-Lynch CDR, NC, USNR OIC Det Q OHSU Bethesda Arlington, VA She is an ICU Nurse at GWV Hospital in Washington DC, FNP, Arlington DHS

Karen Moore, LCDR, NC, USNR Camp Lejeune DET L (unit drilling in Chatanooga, TN), She is a Certified Nurse Anesthetist working for Moore Anesthesia, PLLC, doing local assignments throughout US.

Lori Snidow, DDS, LCDR USPHS, Indian Health Service Pawnee Indian Health Center, Pawnee, OK. She is a staff Dental Officer, Advanced and is originally from Bristol, TN and practiced previously in Roanoke, VA.

You can see from their background and current practice that if anything happened to me I was in good hands. My roommates were great and I enjoyed meeting them. Unfortunately it is time for them to go home and a new group will come on after them.


My Locker

My Bunk
When the last group of Reservists was here I slept in the top bunk. As soon as they left I grabbed the bottom bunk.


Translators

These are some of the translators from Colombia that stayed on the ship in Tumaco. Many of them are from a University in Bogota, Colombia. The United States Embassy paid to fly them to the Comfort to help translate for us. They volunteered on the ward I work on and they helped us so much. They worked very hard and we were so lucky to have them here. Claudia, Claudia, Me, Andrea, Maria, Diego, Monique


4 comments:

The Rinkels said...

Do you get in trouble if you don't make your bed???

Michelle M said...

I love the fancy curtain around your bed. Who are those beautiful children on your locker? I would NEVER be able to function with only that much storage space!

Lori Snidow said...

Hi Kirsten! Just made it home to my folks in North Carolina, and miss you already! How are your new berthmates doing? Hopefully they're cleaner and quieter than we were! =)

G & G Laseke said...

I am very proud of you for taking the time to go help out on this trip. Wish I could have gone too. Seems like you have met many really nice people. I especially think it will be important to tell all your grandchildren, when they are old enough, how you pulled the rope to fuel the ship.