Thursday, June 4, 2009

Kirsten Aboard the Comfort #8: The Panama Canal

The Panama Canal has several webcams set up at landmarks along the way so you can see ships as they pass through. Our ship went through the canal yesterday, and Michelle was able to capture some images of us from a webcam!

A Diagram of the Canal
We were heading SouthEast, going down
The webcam Michelle watched was on the Miraflores Locks.
The webcam updated every 2 minutes; the pictures have timestamps.
I believe the Centennial Bridge is visible in the distance.

Approaching the Miraflores Locks

Passing through the Locks
Can you see the mules?

Leaving the Locks
Here is a wikipedia link to an article on the Panama Canal locks explaining the history and function of the locks and what a mule is.

2 comments:

Fede said...

me encanta tu blog, saludos
mi blog es

www.festeroilicitano.blogspot.com

EspaƱa

Michelle M said...

I can't tell you how much fun I had watching your ship on the webcam! I thought it would be lame, but I got so excited when I was looking at the images- I felt so close to you! I kept telling Derrick and Dayton to come look. Dayton wants to come see you on the boat.