Friday, January 15, 2010

USNS Comfort Gets Ready to Sail

I have had many people calling me asking if I am planning on heading to Haiti. I guess my friends know me too well. The most exciting news is that the USNS Comfort is leaving Baltimore on Saturday morning. She will reach Haiti on January 21. News Article New Article 1/16

The Comfort is a Navy ship, and when not actively deployed, is kept in a state of reduced operations in Baltimore Harbor. Every two years she goes on a medical mission to Central & South America. She is also available for disaster relief, she helped in New York after 9/11 and was in Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina. She has been used many times over the years and has been ready to ship out of Baltimore with 5 days' notice.

It takes a lot to ready a ship of this size and magnitude. They need medical supplies, food and a crew. These are things that can't be left on the ship in case it is needed. The ship can handle up to 1,000 patients. A 250-bed hospital is currently being set up on the ship, which will be equipped with four operating rooms, eight to 15 ICUs, as well as CAT scanners and other state-of-the-art equipment.

The ship will be anchored off Haiti's shore and patients will have to be flown in by helicopter. The Comfort can also make drinking water from sea water. The ship can pump out 300,000 gallons of water per day thanks to its four distilling plants.

As many of you know, I was on the Comfort last summer for 2 months on a medical mission. the first country the Comfort helped in was Haiti. I did not arrive until they were departing the Dominican Republic so I did not help in Haiti.

At this time, I am waiting to hear if my help will be needed on the ship. Over 600 doctors and nurses have already been called to serve on the ship. These men and women will drop everything and get ready to serve on the ship.

My heart just aches for the people of Haiti. I have been watching the news as it unfolds on CNN. Every minute, every hour and every day makes a difference to someone. My prayers are with the people of Haiti, and with all the rescue workers, doctors and nurses that are either there now or on the way.

1 comment:

Michelle M said...

When you told me that the Comfort was going to Haiti, my first thought was that you would volunteer. I love how much this ship helps other countries and people whenever they need it. This is one of the greatest blessings to come out of the US. I'm proud that you've been a part of it!