Wednesday, December 30, 2009

When I was on the ship...

I know that just seeing the title of this blog has made my family cringe! Ever since I have been home I am frequently heard saying that exact phrase, or "When I was on my mission...". In August I attended a luncheon in Salt Lake City at the Church Office, and many of the other men women I worked with have had the same reaction from their families. Well, I was on that ship for 2 months and it became my life while I was there. I am constantly remembering something that happened, something I saw or did. I realized that I never gave a closing post to my blog on my mission so I thought I would try and put it in words.

I have had a difficult time writing about my mission and I am not sure why. Every time I sit down and try to put words to what I experienced I hit a block. Unfortunately I did not keep a journal while I was there and that was a big lesson for next time. Right now I can still see and feel it all but I know that will eventually fade.

The first two weeks after I left I dreamt about the USNS Comfort every night. I dreamt about the ship, the patients, the people I worked with, the military, everything. So many people asked me about it and my response started with "It was an emotional roller coaster". I found myself talking about the sad cases, the people we couldn't help. So it seemed to me that no one wanted to talk about it when I so desperately needed to. Why would anyone want to talk with me about sadness, sick children and frustration.

Well, for the record, Continuing Promise 09 saw over 100,000 patients and did over 1600 surgeries on the ship. We helped so many people that would otherwise not been taken care of. We changed so many lives and brought comfort and hope to nearly everyone we saw. To many of the patients and their families it was a miracle. I would frequently hear someone crying and it was a cry of relief and joy. Patients could see again, or their bodies were repaired. So many were grateful for what we gave them, but they will never know what they gave to me.

I learned more about faith, hope, love, kindness and compassion in those short two months than I will ever learn in my life. Very few complained of pain or anything else, they were so grateful to have the help and care that we provided. (Many did complain of nausea but that comes from being on a ship several miles off the coast).

The children, no matter what was wrong, were all so happy. They all smiled and had such a great time coming to the clinics. The moms kept their children comfortable and busy for the wait, at times several hours. Sometimes I realized how quickly I was moving to get patients in and out of the clinic, trying to keep order, and I realized that I needed to take a few moments and just spend a little time with the children and their families.

I was fortunate that nearly every country I was able to be in pediatrics. I loved being with the children, they bring so much happiness and joy with them. I wish I could take every one of them home with me.

The people in the countries we visited are all grateful for what they have. They aren't worried about what designer jeans to get or what restaurant to eat at. They live with extended families, and family is important to them. Many children had disfiguring conditions but they were the ones that had the biggest smiles.

I recently purchased a Spanish computer program and my goal is to be more fluent in Spanish. The USNS Comfort will go back to Central & South America in 2011 and I plan on being there for another 2 months. The USNS Mercy will be in the Pacific in 2010. I have a grand baby due in June so I am not sure if I will make it or not.

Things I Miss the Most:

The announcements throughout the day: revelie, sweepers, taps and others. (I can't believe I am actually saying that!)

Working as a nurse alongside some incredible nurses and corpsmen.

The Evening meetings letting us know what happened during the day and what to expect in the next day or two.

Waking up every morning knowing I have a purpose, a job to do.

Being disciplined.

Seeing all the men and women in uniform.

Being able to survive with very little. I was amazed at how much I could do without and how little I really needed.

I miss Ashley, Mindy, CJ & Rachel. These were the 4 younger non medical volunteers with our group that served the entire 4 months. I was so impressed with them, how quickly they made friends, how friendly they were and how easy going they were in every situation. They made the trip a lot of fun for the rest of us.

The rocking of the boat. It is very comforting and soothing.

Wearing my Missionary name tag.


This Mission was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life, and it was also the most rewarding. I will always have a piece of the USNS Comfort and its crew in my heart. I have so much love, respect and admiration for our Military and their families. I finally got around to putting together a short video. Most of it is pictures of the kids, many are in previous posts.

If you ever get an opportunity to do something like this, take the chance. The more it puts you out of your comfort zone, the more you will get out of it.

2 comments:

Hawaiian Sea Turtle said...

Kirsten,

It is so touching to read this post and to hear more about this wonderful experience of service and personal growth you had. You are a very special and incredible person!

Michelle M said...

You are more than welcome to talk to me about "the ship" anytime you want (even if I do roll my eyes!). I'm grateful for your service, and I know you were an important part of changing so many lives.