Tuesday, February 3, 2009

I PASSED!



On Saturday I turned in my test to certify to do Income Taxes through the IRS and AARP for the low income and elderly. I got 100% on the Basic portion and 100% on the Intermediate portion. I passed the Advanced portion, I had an inherited stock in the Short Term Capital Gain section and because it was inherited it always goes in the long term section. So 3 of my answers were wrong, but if I had it in the right place the calculations were correct. I was very nervous turning in the test because I had been studying for almost a month. I even spent a lot of my time in Chicago reading my manual and practicing on the computer.

On Monday I thought I would go to the Tumwater Library and watch someone else do tax returns. As it turns out they were short a couple of Counselors so I got to do a few tax returns. I was so nervous with the first lady. I decided I wasn't going to tell her she was my first customer or she might ask for someone else. After a few minutes I relaxed and it was just like the Practice Lab we worked on. I am working again in Tumwater on Wednesday, and Thursday and Saturday I am in Yelm. They need help in Salkum so I might go out there every other Saturday.

This is a picture of the logo on the shirt I get to wear. I am easily one of the youngest volunteers.

5 comments:

Michelle M said...

I love that you not only use your free time to help so many people, but that you worked your butt off to be able to do it. Congratulations on your test. I think you're a winner.

I was going to ask if you've met any cute guys through this new 'hobby', but I guess if you're the youngest by a decade or so, then nevermind.

Cora said...

I think you are amazing! I think it's so important to volunteer where we're able. You are my hero!

Derrick M said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Derrick M said...

I'm surprised the AARP let such a young chick like you work for them. But hey, if it gets more guys to come out then so be it right?

The Rinkels said...

Nice work! That's terrific service.