Tuesday, February 3, 2009

GENEALOGY


This morning I received an email from my cousin Bev Laseke in Illinois. She has been corresponding with a distant cousin in Germany, a Laseke. She sent me a copy of our Family Crest. A month ago my nephew Sam Laseke asked if I had the family crest. I thought I had it but when I looked at it I realized it was just an imitation of what a family crest would look like. If anyone has any ideas what the crest stands for let me know. Michelle thinks it is a warrior with a feather duster, meaning Laseke's are great house cleaners.

I also came across some very interesting information. The Klein Family and the Laseke Family are both from Hohnhorst Germany at about the same time. Maybe we are related! That would explain why our daughters are a little "different".

I have been on the computer a lot the past few days and I have been working on a lot of genealogy. I am trying to update the information I have as it is very easy to have a wrong date or place. I received a Family Tree from my cousin which was given to her by our cousin in Germany and she has my mom married to a Daniel Laseke, and my niece Jill as a Laseke. If you Google Laseke there is a Jill Laseke that is a realtor but it is not my niece Jill Bradley. It is a lot of fun to work on and to try and piece it all together. I have come across many Laseke's and Laeseke's that I don't know who they belong to.

My favorite part of working on genealogy is to look at the census records. They have a lot of information on them. In the early 1900's they went door to door so you could see who lived next door to the person you are looking up. It also tells where the people were born and where their parents were born. If you ever get a chance, go to the Library and look at them.

6 comments:

Michelle M said...

Well the good house-cleaning skill was DEFINITELY NOT passed down to me.

I think it's great that you're doing so much genealogy, because then I won't have to do it! It must be something you appreciate more as you get OLDER.

Rock, Paper, Scissors said...

Michelle, There are no words some times for you. You just crack me up.

Kirsten, Actually I armed my hubby before I left with coupons and a game plan. He took care of it and it worked out just the way it was supposed to. But I am not sure what will happen for next weeks deals. . .

Derrick M said...

Keep up the good work with the genealogy. Remember, the more you get done now, the less we'll have to do later!

I don't think that's a feather duster on the shield, but instead the tail end of an arrow. Also I love the HUGE horns coming out of the helmet. I bet the Laseke's were intimidating on the battle field and also had a bunch of kids.

Serena said...

Sorry to say Michelle, I love genealogy! I've done mine and it is really fun! If I need help, I know who to call Kirsten!!! Along with quilting, it sounds like you are the expert!

frty130 said...

I found the meaning of all the elements. The meanings are listed below. It would seem our family liked to fight the good fight and was good at it.

Horns= Strength and fortitude

Maroon= Patient in battle, and yet victorious

Sabre= Justice and/or military honour

Spear-heads= Dexterity and nimble wit; readiness for battle

Plume of feathers= Sign of willing obedience and serenity of mind

Broom Plant= Humility

Knight= The soul guiding the body; man's journey through life

Unknown said...

Funny you should mention "Googling Jill Laseke" and finding a realtor in Ohio. I have a longlost friend Jill Laseke that I've been searching to find for over 12 years now and I keep hitting dead ends!! My Jill Laseke isa natural redhead who lived in Chicago back in the 80's and 90's. She was around when I was in my band and so much else back then!
I'm pretty sure she had a sister who also lived in Chicago or the chicagoland area at the time, but she didn't talk about her. I'd love sooooo much to catch up with my Jill Laseke as so much has happened in those last 12 years with me, I'm dying of curiousity to know her story!! Can you help me?
Tom Godzcki