Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Ashton


My 3 1/2 year old grandson Dayton has a friend named Ashton. They are Sunbeams together at Church. A couple of weeks ago it was discovered that Ashton had a tumor.

Surgery was scheduled and a cantaloupe sized tumor was removed frpm her abdomen. It's hard for me to imagine such a large tumor in a tiny 3 year old girl. Surgery removed the entire tumor and it was sent in to pathology.

Ashton has been diagnosed with Embryonal Rhabdomyosarcoma, which is a form of cancer. She has had a Port-a-Cath inserted and later this week she starts chemo therapy. Her treatments are expected to last one year.

Last week they had a tour of the Oncology area where Ashton will receive her treatments. It must have been a lot to absorb for everyone. It was also a little scary for Ashton to see all the bald people. After discussing this with the staff they suggested to have her around this environment more so she can get used to it.

So what do you suppose they did? Dad went home and let Ashton shave all his hair off! What an awesome dad. Now seriously think about this for a moment. If your little child had cancer and would loose all their hair, would you be willing to shave all your hair off? (Kurt your answer doesn't count!) I have to admit it would be hard for me.

So if you would like to follow Ashton's journey her moms blog is here. Every night Michelle & her family remember Ashton in their prayers. When they pray that Ashton will feel better, Dayton tries to correct them saying that she is better. To him being sick is not feeling well, staying home and laying in bed.

So please remember Ashton and her family in your prayers, and remember the kind and caring doctors and nurses that care for her. Pray that their hands will be guided to give the best care and that she can be healed of this illness.

For some reason this little girl's story has captured my heart. I am not sure why, maybe because she is Dayton's friend and her mom is Michelle's friend. And I also find myself asking the spiritual question "Why?"

2 comments:

The Rinkels said...

Wow, that's not at all what I thought this post would be about. I thought your newest grandchild had arrived.
I will keep Ashton in my prayers and hope for successful treatment. Thanks for sharing THIS story.

Laurel said...

How awful such a little girl has to endure surgery and treatment for the next year. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I find myself asking why in situations like these as well.....